Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thoughts after almost one week with a 2nd grade class

One of the students * has eyes like Hyori, the coveted eyes that turn into half-moons when they are closed. It is the first week of school, but the teacher had to take time off because her mother passed away. Someone I know from another school is now attending this one -- she said her family didn't move, so I am thinking that maybe she had to change schools because of reduction of classes at the old school. It was nice seeing her though, I don't know if I will see her again. I like the Vietnamese students at the school -- they are more endearing that most of the Chinese students I would meet in more affluent school districts.

I've been trying to be more understanding of the boys, and tolerating more of their behavior. It is not easy, when it is ingrained through custom to suppress anything that deviates from a norm established in accordance with what comes easily for girls. Still, we had to practice walking during a fire drill, and some of the boys really can talk when they want to. I do not know if the discipline maintained by the American nuns in the past is the ideal. But without any psychologically and pedagogically sound examples of how boys should be treated as boys, what can one do? (While Legionary schools put boys and girls in separate classrooms, I do not think I would want to take direction from them.)

If there is time tomorrow I should have them write on something... first I need to think of a topic.


*Cyneburg's field

No comments: