Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reflections on the lay vocation for men

This is primarily focused on men living in the United States, but much of it seems to me to be universally applicable.

The motto of the Boy Scouts is "Be Prepared" -- I won't be looking at how this is explained by official Scout literature or Robert Baden-Powell, but instead appropriating it. One should have the virtues necessary to deal with contingencies, especially the virtue of prudence, or practical wisdom.

Most men naturally perceive that they have a responsibility to protect their loved ones and also to defend the community at large. While it may be the case that not all should serve in the armed forces (indeed, there may be strong reasons for a Christian not to serve in the American military), they should be able to defend their family and local community if the need arises -- this means not only acquiring the necessary skills but the proper mindset. At the very minimum, learning basic hand-to-hand skills seems necessary. To fail to do this, without a serious reason, is to be negligent of one's duties. Some men may be exempt from this requirement because of their state in life (those who are religious and unmarried, for example, but even they may be required to defend the community in extreme cases of necessity), but I do not see how this is not the case for laymen.

I can understand the arguments that not every man needs to learn how to use a firearm. It is too expensive to own a handgun, or it is difficult to get a concealed weapons permit and so on. One may argue that even having one in the home, when one cannot secure it or does not have the mental readiness to use it in an emergency, is pointless. But if things begin to breakdown, learning how to use weapons other than one's body may become incumbent, not only for protecting one's family (and here I don't mean just one's wife and children, but the extended family) but also as a prerequisite for forming a local militia for communal defense.

This brings me to the point that if the United States is to become once again a union of republics, then republican virtue, with its martial foundation in the citizens' bearing arms in defense of family and community, needs to be restored. Financial circumstances may prevent many from learning how to defend themselves -- should it not be a priority of community centers to offer free classes or classes at reduced cost to men? Then again, we should be aware that governments at all levels generally do not have the interests of men, and by extension the true good of the community, at heart.

(Alas, I missed out on scouting when I was young, even though I was interested in it. I don't think I ever asked if I could join, or if I did, it was quickly dismissed.)

Scouting for Boys: A Handbook for Instruction in Good Citizenship

No comments: