Monday, March 22, 2010

Transition Culture: Interview with Phillip Blond of ResPublica, author of ‘Red Tory’

Would a more localised world inevitably be a more happy one?

(Sharp intake of breath followed by a pause). I think it depends. I think it tends to. I think a more localised world will be a more effective one, a more engaged one, with a higher degree of social capital, interaction and engagement, but as I said, there’s no turning the clock back, no opposing globalisation. The point is rather to orient globalisation towards augmenting the local rather than eliminating it. I think that can be done. You don’t want to be in a position of producing a politics that won’t happen….



It seems to me that globalization will be a victim of peak oil; corporations do not have the same power as national governments to enforce contracts and maintain control over property, do they?

No comments: