Thursday, April 21, 2011

"Minding your own business."

I've written on TFP before, but here is a piece by James Matthew Wilson on an incident at a recent demonstration ("rally") by TFP: Deracinated Meritocrats and the Marriage “Debate”. Setting aside the issue of the actions of those who were counter-protesting, I think it is a good illustration of what Dr. Fleming points at the problems of Christian or Catholic political/social movements. First, it is very questionable whether such actions in themselves are effective at converting hearts. Then there is an added note of triumphalism in the attitude of TFP, with their banners, sashes, and other paraphanalia, which probably creates a further obstacle to conversion. I do not believe that all have the gift to preach to strangers, and we should be evangelizing our neighbors, with whom we have some sort of connection. How can there be a change in laws if the competing principles differ so greatly and they cannot be changed in the other party without moral conversion?

No comments: