On the other hand, what does Team Ahmari have to offer to replace decadent liberalism? To put a fine point on it: what do they have that could win the support of a majority in America, while not crushing the minority? After all, we might hate each other, but we have to live together somehow.Realistically or morally? And perhaps the divide between the two isn't as great as Dreher thinks.
I believe that Frenchism can only hold the barbarians at bay for so long. The Left is becoming increasingly illiberal, and absent some unforeseen radical change, its worldview will have captured all the institutions, including the courts. The arguments David French makes may no longer persuade jurists. Conservatives who put their faith in the ability of liberal proceduralism to defend our interests will themselves be crushed.
That said … what else is there? What else is realistically available to conservatives now? I honestly don’t know. Hence my dilemma.
That’s why I’m on Team Ahmari in principle. What deeply undermines my confidence is the fact that we have lost the culture, and show no signs of getting it back. Again: in a morally sane society, Drag Queen Story Hour would not even occur to anybody. I often feel that many of my fellow conservatives have taken the Pill of Murti-Bing, and are willfully numb and blind to what is overtaking us, and maybe even celebrate it as the glory of individual liberty.Maybe Dreher needs to take his mind out of blue America and focus instead on red America, even if he chooses to live in blue America.
A comment in his combox has it right:
This is the source of your dilemma. At some point, you will have to drop the premise that we have to live together. On the evidence, many on the left have already done so (see, e.g., Antifa in Portland). The solution to the dilemma is to accept that people who don't share a common vision of the good life can't actually live together. The remaining question is what the separation looks like. The republic can survive, but it may not survive whole. I don't think this is imminent; but I'm afraid it is, some day, inevitable. To me, the main difference between Ahmari and French may well be that Ahmari accepts this inevitability but French does not.
No comments:
Post a Comment