Wednesday, January 01, 2020

I Never Watched a Full Episode of The Waltons

when I was growing up; I'd see a commercial from time to time or manage to catch the closing credits before the next show came on, whatever that might have been on CBS. So today I happened to catch most if an episode; John Boy believes he has received a solicitation from a publisher for his stories. I then found that even this supposedly family-friendly show had some indoctrination in it, with the subtle and not-so-subtle undermining of the authority of the father, who wanted to look at the contract before signing it, since John Boy was a minor. Instead John Boy gave it to his mother and she signed it, without reading it through or bringing it to a lawyer. Later John Boy and his mother realize that this was a mistake, but they never really acknowledged how they had offended the authority of the father, nor did they apologize for this, and the father was too soft in his response, amounting to sweeping it under the rug as everyone was guilty of being emotionally overwhelmed by John Boy's apparent success, which was ridiculous.

Now I would not be surprised if the show never touched upon the War to Prevent Southern Independence (do any of the characters have a real Southern accent or was that already being stigmatized at that time). Probably no mention of an ancestor who fought against Lincoln.

No comments: