Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Charles Taylor Resources

It's supposed to feel over 100 today, with actual temps in the mid-90s plus high humidity. I'm waiting at O'Neill for the CTRC to open (not until 3 P.M.), so I should be reading, but I'll finish some drafts for posts instead.

Charles Taylor is the author of Ethics of Authenticity, and Sources of the Self: The Making of the Modern Identity. He is known as a communitarian, and his works do address the questions of individualism versus corporatism as well as altruism versus egoism. I have not really read either, though Ethics of Authenticity was used in several sections of Philosophy of the Person.
Is there such a thing as modernity, traceable to certain philosophical and ideological roots? Or are we just seeing the results of Original Sin? More and more I am leaning towards the latter. Ideas have consequences, but original sin + lack of proper legislation by the government can also have the same consequences, with a proper ideological foundation not being necessary to explain what is going on in a particular society or its development (or more appropriately, its decline).

Charles Taylor resources
Bibliography
wikipedia entry
"The Multifaceted Charles Taylor"
Faculty page at McGill University

I suppose his books are on my reading list, but not a priority. I'd prefer to read a more Aristotelian analysis.

It will be interesting to see the kind of papers that will be presented at the Center for Ethics and Culture conference in November, though I am not sure I will be in attendance.

No comments: