Monday, July 17, 2006

Sundays

Last Sunday, after going to Mass at Our Saviour, I dropped by Chinatown to visit EJK. She wanted to find a certain cafe/restaurant but many were filled because of the World Cup Match between Italy and France. We settled on Zoe--she ordered the tuna sandwich, I got the Zoe burger. The food was decent (really, how much can be done to make a burger taste better?), and the bread basket included bread and muffins. Last time I saw EJK was more than a year ago, when I visited NYC to see Ngoi Ling yi and Uncle Lok and their daughter. We talked a little bit about the thesis and community and etiquette and consideration, that was a nice discussion. Too bad not too many students in Philosophy of Person are like that.

Afterwards we headed to Central Park for a walk... I got a glimpse of one of the Trump buildings (the Trump office building)--not so impressive. Donald Trump, one man everyone loves to hate? Possibly... he was part of the conversation yesterday, when I met up with a friend from Cal and her husband for dim sum. They are currently living in New York, near Poughkeepsie, and were in town for the wedding reception for her sister. We had dim sum at Emperor's Garden in Chinatown. The dim sum seems to be a little bit better, but there weren't as many people there as the last time I was there... (which was a while ago, maybe 3 years ago?).

They seem to be doing well, and I should look at LC's album to see what her daughter looks like; guess I'll need to email to get the url.

Of interest in this month's Chronicles... everything probably! But something special:
Rendering Us Again in Affection
by Katherine Dalton
An interview with Wendell Berry.

If I were to subscribe to another political journal it would be American Conservative. Too bad there's no subscription to it at a local library.

No comments: