Saturday, October 14, 2006
Sting
I'm listening to Sting's performance of some songs by John Dowland--I think this is a live performance, and I find it to be much better than the CD tracks, not sure what it is. I listened to those samples, and some of the songs I didn't like--part of it was the mixing that was done in the studio, much of it was Sting's voice and singing style. Some (and Sting himself makes this point) might argue that his style is more "authentic," lacking the modern technique of bel canto/opera, but is it really the case that people back then didn't know the difference between singing from the throat, or from the chest, or from the diaphragm? Anyway, his accent is growing on me. And he is right, he does know how to sing with passion, and this does come out in his performance. (And his lute-playing sounds superb!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment