1. Race may come into play, but from what I've read, the gunman emigrated to the United States at an early age. What I want to know is where did the guns come from? And, did he have a history of playing violent video games?
2. Some have wondered online why no one tried to stop him with whatever was available, fire extinguisher, etc. Although I think we shouldn't judge those who were in the situation (even if the ones judging are gun-users and know something about fight-or-flight response), I do not think that it is uncontroversial to say that most Americans do not have the training to be pro-active in such a situation. Most would choose flight (or to hide under a desk) because they wouldn't know what else to do. That is their first reaction.
1 comment:
No kidding. I brought up the issue of classroom violence in a TA/TF meeting at you know where last Friday, and the Dean more or less scratched his head with puzzlement. "Call campus police" was his response.
When you look at the long list of schools in North American where there have been mass murders, you realize that profs and TAs need emergency training. We know now what do to when we see weirdos playing games on airplanes; we should figure out what to do when weirdos start blazing away in schools.
Post a Comment