The Once and Future Republic of Vermont
By Ian Baldwin and Frank Bryan
Vermont fought the Civil War primarily to end slavery; Abraham Lincoln did so primarily to save the Union.
Not exactly a better reason, when one looks at the big picture.
The authors write that Vermont is socially liberal--if the state chooses to secede, I would not advocate that it be stopped, even if its citizens life lives in discord from the Natural Law to one degree or another. Moral conversion cannot be directly achieved by force, and while society can and must be preserved through law, in a society that is in decline, the power of legislation to foster the development of virtue is even more limited. On the other hand, I believe I read somewhere that "conservatives" and "liberals" do get along in Vermont, despite their differences.
Second Vermont Republic
Vermont Commons (blog)
The Vermont Manifesto: The Second Vermont Republic ...
more essays by Thomas Naylor
Kirby Mountain blog
No comments:
Post a Comment