Monday, May 21, 2007

SHG interviews

Translations by Songhyegyo.net.



May 16, 2007: Song Hye Gyo (25) says 'exposing oneself' while acting isn't something that she thinks about.

On the 15th, she had an interview with Sports Wide for the upcoming release of her movie, "HwangJini" when she was asked "what do you think about performing nude?."

"I don't think exposing oneself in a project will help make it complete," She emphasized.

Usually when actresses are asked this question, their answer is "if it is absolutely necessary, then there's a possibility." However, Song Hye Gyo clearly draws the line.

She said, "Of course an actress's image is important but the 10 years of difficulty it took to make Song Hye Gyo a star is just as important to me."

Spectators "who are expecting [more] from a particular scene will be left disappointed once they watch 'HwangJini.' From the beginning, the movie was made to suite the viewing of 15 year olds," She explained.

She added, "In my first meeting wtih the director, he told me 'I want to make a movie that my son can watch.' "

She concluded, "Before I get married, I won't think of exposing myself in a role."

(*Source: Article)

One would think this wouldn't be an issue in Korea, but Korea isn't the conservative society that it once was, at least with respect to the mass media. It was once claimed that Scarlett Johansson wanted to do a "tasteful" nude scence, perhaps in an European film, but recently it has been reported that she wouldn't do such a thing. I don't know if much can be done in Korea to stop the current slide--the Catholics there aren't numerous enough or powerful enough to form a Legion of Decency that would be able to have a say in what sort of movies are to be released and so on. The Confucians should have something to say about the decline of the mass media...

Hwang Jin Yi is the only Summer movie that I would be looking forward to; then again, I'm not familiar with the other Summer releases. Nothing so far has really given any indication that my suspicion that the quality of Korean movies is going down is wrong... how many well-made Romantic tragedies or comedies remain to be produced? Perhaps another drama can be written that will have the same sort of moral impact as Dae Jang Geum... but I'm surprised that they can keep churning out dramas. Perhaps viewers really have nothing else to do but to consume them. It's been a while since I've watched any Japanese dramas, but last time I checked, "there wasn't much there." "Modernization" (or destruction) of culture continues, at least in its depiction by the mass media.

And there's this interview:

May 15, 2007: "Now I don't [judge] a man entirely on his outward appearance."

Song Hye Gyo who turns 26 this year is currently single. She was asked about her ideal type of man and answered sincerely, " Like a father, a tender-hearted man."

Song Hye Gyo says when she was young, "Peronality was important but I looked at the outward appearance." However, when she began to approach her mid 20s, her thinking changed a lot.

"I will like it if a man would let me lean against him when I'm going through a hard time. When I'm stressed, he'll listen to me talk and comfort me. A man who is like a father, tender-hearted and have a powerful embrace."

These days, Song Hye Gyo spends more time with her seniors in age, Choi Ji Woo and Lee Mi Yeon than with other entertainers who are of her same age. Song Hye Gyo says of Choi Ji Woo and Lee Mi Yeon, "These two ['unnie'] are really like true older sisters. When I'm going through a hard time, they are [there for me] and they even give me a lot of [actress-related] advice."

So when does she hope to get married? "Now I am thinking if not by 31 then by 32 would be most fitting." She answered bashfully. However, "Then a good person has to show up for it to be possible, right?" She said with laughter. (*Source: Article)


Now perhaps these are sort of typical interviews that an idol or beauty object gives -- is Miss Song just giving answers that the readers want to see? Even if this is the case, does it reveal something about the readers and their society? And if we compare such interviews from stars in Korea with American celebs, would there be enough to make a judgment about the differences between the two societies? I would think so.

Plenty of celebrities say they've learned to look beyond the surface, but I wonder how true such answers are.

Still, if her answers is sincere... she isn't reluctant to be the woman in the relationship. I know there are plenty of men who would be charmed by her answers, and would like to marry her. "Not in this lifetime, guys."