Friday, May 04, 2007

Should Women Go Into Combat?

Should Women Go Into Combat?
By Catherine L. Aspy

One could even question their fitness for support roles.

In 1994 an Army rule barring women from hundreds of "combat support" positions was eliminated. Meanwhile the Army tried to institute tests to match a soldier's physical strength to a specific "military occupation specialty," or MOS. Then it was discovered that the tests would have disqualified most Army women from 65 percent of the more than 200 MOSs. The tests were scrapped.


Via Tea at Trianon

In a 4GW world, airpower becomes less significant in comparison to boots on the ground.

Another point--in many instances, the military has become just one more Federal government welfare program.

Center for Military Readiness (I suspect it supports having women in the military)

1 comment:

Seraphic Single said...

Oooh. I thought your last sentence before I read it. My thoughts: 1. women do not belong on the frontlines 2. women should be in their own regiments 3. the Allies won WW 2 without women soliders on the frontlines 4. Allied women in military-based activities were in their own regiments.