Friday, September 07, 2007

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford






more photos

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

When I first heard about this project, I was a bit skeptical--sounded like an Oscar bid by pretty boy Brad Pitt. There were reports of delays and re-cuts...

Wiki has the following:
The Assassination of Jesse James was initially edited by director Dominik to be "a dark, contemplative examination of fame and infamy", similar to the style of director Terrence Malick. The studio opposed Dominik's approach, preferring less contemplation and more action, in line with the directing style of Clint Eastwood. One version of the film had a running time of over three hours. Pitt and Ridley Scott, producers of the film, and editor Michael Kahn collaborated to assemble and test different versions, which did not receive strong scores from test audiences. Despite the negative response, the audiences considered the performances by Pitt and Affleck to be some of their careers' best.

But then I found out that the original novel is by Ron Hansen, a Catholic author. And advance word continues to heap praise on the film, and I am becoming more interested in watching the movie... but first, 3:10 to Yuma.

Eastern Promises (Yahoo; Apple; youtube) trailer

Novelist Ron Hansen Explores Faith and Fiction
People of the Book » Deacon Ron Hansen (interesting--for my home diocese of San Jose)
Shepard and Hansen Interview Part 1|bustedhalo.com
Santa Clara University - College of Arts and Sciences - Hansen, Ron
audio interview

No comments: