Tuesday, October 30, 2007

First headache after an assignment

Aiya--today was the first day I got a headache while subbing. Not enough sleep? Not enough food? Too much frustration with the students? They weren't necessarily "bad," but very active, talkative, and in need of attention. Not much self-discipline. It seems that there aren't many (Southeast) Asian kids at that school any more--it's mostly Hispanic. I still remember some faces from the school, the names less so--no idea if any of their siblings are currently attending.

Will I go back to that school? If I have to, but there are other schools that I would prefer.

Even when I was subbing a while back I believed that teaching at a primary school wasn't my calling--but now I find myself growing bored and impatient. Not with the kids, but with how slow the day seems to be going. I thought I could last until the end of the school year, but this afternoon I was tempted to find some other kind of temporary work. Night-time security guard, with internet access? It would be different if I were teaching my own kids--then I could mix the schedule up and attend to other matters while they are doing their work. And there would be more breaks and trips outside or to the playground.

If I could get K assignments from now on, or roving, that would be nice...

When I was small and walked to Safeway with the grandparents, the trip seemed rather long. A trip to SF or even to a nearby city would probably be a snoozer. Now... 50 minutes in a car to SF go by rather quickly. (Though sitting on a T car for an hour just go get from Chestnut Hill to downtown Boston... that can be maddening, and when the ride is bumpy or shaky, I can get motion sickness.)

The secretary remembered me from before, but we didn't really talk so much, which was fine by me. At the end of the day she did ask me how it went, I'm not sure why... at least the principal (whom I disliked) is no longer there, but I think the aide who used to be there is gone, too. Of course they still have the nice public education propaganda for the students that is no substitute for true education in the virtues.

Really, it is unfortunate that there are on classical schools down here in the South Bay. Mr. Lyon of Providence Academy is supposed to be attending the Center for Ethics and Culture conference at the end of November. It would be nice to see him again.

Now that I've finished the leftover lasanga, the headache has been mitigated a bit, but I can still feel the vessels in my head... they're not pounding, but I do feel something. So was it hunger? I'd like to blame it on the kids though. heh.

1 comment:

minn1e mouse said...

Papabear is just hungry...