Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thoughts on a Sunday

I find sympathy cards to be the worst-written cards, in general. I looked through the card section at Target and I couldn't find much that was suitable. Most of the messages were rather lame; some of the words even seemed to be a bit self-serving or self-centered. Of course, many of the religious cards presumed that the deceased was already in heaven, while the non-religious cards expressed the hope or wish that pleasant memories of the deceased and the "warm feelings of love" from the people around the bereaved would be of comfort to them. These days I find it's better for most occasions to find a blank card in which I can write down something genuine and sincere, if not original.

While it has been some comfort spending time with high school friends, they haven't changed and the distance between us remains considerable. At least when I was living elsewhere, the physical separation could justify the spiritual separation. But now that I am back in California, I find that I do not see most of them often, which causes me to ask once again what the best way to handle friendships (even more so with what seem to be nonstarters), and what the "natural course" for them is.

I was listening to an EWTN program with Jason Evert and his wife on AM 1260 (someone should bring him out here to talk to teens), and I do miss fellowship with serious Catholics. He and his wife were talking about chastity and purity, of course. He even mentioned oxytocin, telling the audience that the bonding and emotional attachment caused by oxytocin can impair our judgment. Hence people who have sex before marriage may find themselves staying in a bad relationship because of the bond that is formed through sexual intimacy.

Oxytocin : the hormone of love
Empathy and Oxytocin Lead to Greater Generosity
Oxytocin Hormone: The Cuddle Hormone is the Body's Own Love Potion ...
Level Of Oxytocin In Pregnant Women Predicts Mother-child Bond
BBC NEWS | Health | Scientists create 'trust potion'
Oxytocin increases trust in humans : Nature
wiki

In general, the people attending the 12:00 Mass at St. Thomas Aquinas are mostly older, though there are a few young families. Where do young Catholics meet? I suppose I could try the local theology-on-tap, or a parish young adult group (but there's an age limit for the one at OLP). Single Catholics should spend time with other people. Catholic singles should spend time with other Catholics, not only because they may be looking for a spouse, but to find friends. I suppose in a situation like this, when one is rather isolated and the possibilities for meeting people are limited, all one can do is pray.

If they bring back a full-time youth minister at St. Joseph's, maybe the new minister can invite Jason Evert and some other speakers for a series. (The parish seems to be doing well financially, after all...) What do the children and adolescents at St. Maria Goretti Church know about her? Or St. Dominic Savio, for that matter? We do need youth ministers who are like St. John Bosco--should there be separate youth ministry groups for males and females? While they are normally 'co-ed,' perhaps there should be some segregation, with the two groups meeting for social events and the like. Even if one does not accept that the vocations of husband/father and wife/mother are different, perhaps one will at least concede that separating males from females will have the benefit of removing distractions. Still, how many attending youth ministry meetings are interested in finding a bf or gf there? (And not because their parents want them to go?)

Office of Respect Life Education: Jason Evert Presentations
Catholic Answers: Seminars: Jason Evert
Pure Love Club

If I were a priest, I might say something during a homily to the congregation about leaving church right after receiving Holy Communion. Perhaps for the Gospel reading in which Christ heals 10 lepers and only one returns to thank him (Luke 17:11-19). Surely, most Catholics need to be reminded of the necessity of making a proper act of Thanksgiving after Communion. Would you think of turning your back on someone rich and powerful who had just done a favor for you or given you something of great value? Than ask yourself if you are showing the proper gratitude to God after receiving the most precious Gift possible. The gas station/fillerup mentality towards the Sacraments needs to be corrected. Where are people russhing off to? What could possibly be more important than spending time with Our Lord? Perhaps they are receiving Communion because of rote habit, one of culture more than of religion. Is there any connection to the bishops (and St. Pius X's) encouraging people to receive Communion frequently? Or is it a feature of the American Church before Vatican II that has persisted, despite the decline in catechesis? (One does wonder though whether Americans were receiving an adequate education on Christian spirituality before the council.) Now if there are pressing obligations to be attended to that would be a different story, but even a quick act of Thanksgiving should be possible.

I'm meeting up with my sister KK and her husband and my mother for dinner at Joy Luck Place, since KK is craving some noodles. I don't know if my father will be going. We had dinner last night at Pan Tao; the dishes are about $2 more than Victoria Seafood in Boston, but the quality is about the same, for the most part. There is a dearth of good, cheap Cantonese food here in the South Bay. After Mass I went to Jamba Juice in the afternoon, over at Cupertino Oaks. A couple of doors down from the Jamba Juice is a Quickly. I've never tried Quickly--I don't care much for pearl drinks and such, preferring smoothies. I decided to satiate my craving for a smoothie today instead of going later this week. (Mango-a-go-go!)

Edit:
Joy Luck Place was ok. I ordered the cha siu min -- there was a lot of cha siu (barbeque pork) in it, more than what I got at Fat Wong's over in Millbrae. The prices are comparable to Cafe Salinas, though. I wonder if my brother-in-law thought he got enough beef this time.

No comments: