Thursday, May 07, 2009



Rebellion: "Update from Oklahoma!"

Wow. I should include Oklahoma in the list of states that I would move to, if I could... Tulsa, or perhaps even Clear Creek, to be near the monks.

From earlier this year: Oklahoma House Votes 83 to 13 to Restore Sovereignty under the 10th Amendment (This was what was vetoed by Gov. Brad Henry. What's his story? His official bio.)

Clear Creek Monastery - Oklahoma Food Cooperative - Shop

namericansecession.ning.com

(In case you're wondering, the others on the list so far are Montana, Idaho, and Texas. Maybe Virginia and South Carolina.)

I had used the example of the ants and the grasshoppers before, in reference to those who were thrifty and saved as opposed to those who were bound up with the consumerist culture. I could include among the latter group those who saved wisely but put their trust in the oligarchy and the stock market, believing that they could profit greatly without much effort. The past few days I have been thinking also about parents who have been too lax, or have completely accepted the lies regarding licentiousness and pass these on to their offspring. "Don't have children, I don't want to clean up your mess." And yet, will there come a time when I have to protect my own from their children, through force if necessary? When you read stories like this, it makes you fear for the future of this country.

A thought: Culture is a pseudo-habitus, but really the interaction of many habits. It pertains more to the rational part of the soul, and because they involve choice, are much more important than the accidents of the body, over which we have no control. (Skin color, and everything else popularly attributed to 'genetics.')

Those who deny that culture is important for unity do not understand that custom, mos, is itself normative, and a form of law--while not basic precepts of natural law, customs are nonetheless determinations of the natural law and can have the same binding force. It is law in all its forms that gives shape to a society and orders it to the common good. Culture is not some morally neutral entity, a supplement to the liberal morality embodied in "rights" and written laws--those who think so have a very poor understanding of what culture is.

No comments: