I would take issue with the following, since it just advanced as an assertion, without demonstration:
And rightly so; the revolution which enabled women to exercise rights and develop themselves as full participants in public life has been, whatever its incidental downsides, an overwhelming moral and civic boon to Western civilization.Without buying into punditry that characterizes the Democratic Party as the "Mommy Party" and the Republican Party as the "Daddy Party" (initiated supposedly by Fred Thompson), especially since both parties have a vested interest in maintaining the welfare state, nonetheless, I would posit that young women are more likely than young men to see the state as having a vital role in redistributing wealth in order to support all segments of society. (Although the percentage of young men who would accept this may be increasing, there may also be regional differences that lead to young women in certain places having a lower approval rate.) It is said that wives and mothers, the "soccer moms" are more likely to be Republican voters. Is it the case that women will eventually switch allegiances once they become married and have children? Or will they continue to be Democrats? I tend to think the latter. (One could explain this correlation by saying that Republican women are more likely to remain married and have children, but this should be scrutinized more.)
Are women more likely to engage in an ethics of care (a la Carol Gillian) or exaggerated sympathy, while ignoring considerations of justice and personal responsibility? Many think of entitlements as falling directly under distributive justice, even if they believe they are solutions to inequalities. (I do not think the two are necessary the same -- a solution to an inequality may still be nonetheless unjust, violating commutative justice or distributive justice or both, under different aspects.) Is it the case that law should be primarily about ordering individual behavior, than the outlining of government responsibilities to individuals? Is legal justice reducible to distributive justice, or is it more than distributive justice?
The Thinking Housewife has a post that could be used as a response to Mr. Fox: Fatherhood and Democracy. Lawrence Auster: On women’s equality (and the post that led to it: The Scandinavian gyneocracy and the Nobel-for-Obama joke).
2 comments:
An observation: I live in a county full of GOP women, but the percentage of them who are divorced and remarried must be incredibly high. It's easily more than 50% of the women I come across in this very Republican area.
Perhaps I should modify the original post and say "young, single women" as opposed to "young, single men." As for young mothers -- their political allegiances may be correlated with their marital status (single or married)--are young single moms more likely to be Democrat than Republican? Conversely, I know plenty of young married mothers who vote Republican. (But they are also Catholic.)
Post a Comment