Friday, February 19, 2010

Impious?

From Clash of the Titans Set Visit: IGN travels back to mythological ancient Greece.

The legend of Perseus involves the hero, born of Zeus and a mortal woman, setting out on a quest to kill the snake-headed Gorgon Medusa (not played by Uma Thurman in the film, sorry Percy Jackson fans) and save the princess Andromeda from a sea monster -- known as the Kraken in the movie versions of the tale. The new film's story does deviate from the original's in many ways, though.

"In the original, Perseus is part man, part god, as you know," says Worthington. "And he accepts the gods' side pretty easily in the first one and accepts all the gifts the gods give him. And to me that wasn't a very good message to give to my nine-year-old nephew, or any kid, I think -- is that you have to be a god to achieve something. So one of the things I talked to Louis about was that … he wants to be a man and do this as a man. And do it with other men. Because I think that's a good message that anything is possible if you're banded together as men. So that's where it differs a lot. He's rejecting the gods a hell of a lot. And then the second thing is that [in] Greek mythology destiny is set for you, something I thought that was another crap message to give to my nephew. Because to say to him you're already going to be destined to do this, this and this, I believe you can make your own fate. So we kind of played against that. My Perseus is really a boisterous, belligerent kind of teenager. You tell him he can't do something, he'll run headlong into doing it. And that gets him into a lot of trouble. He's not the golden boy, he's the teenager who has to learn to grow up."

Did Greek myths foster this sort of impiety? Not that I recall.

No comments: