Having read this post at VFR, I did some more searching. Wikipedia porn row leads to Jimmy Wales giving up editing privileges and Wikipedia president Jimmy Wales cedes editorial control over porn scandal. I know some over at LRC extol Wikipedia because, in principle, everyone can access and write and edit, and it is a free source of online information. But anyone who pays attention to reality knows that not all are qualified to be experts on certain topics. Is Wikipedia useful? I won't deny that. But it is also prone to misinformation, if there are enough who are committed to pushing forth their own point of view. (For example, the entries on paleoconservatives and paleoconservatism have been contested for quite some time.) It seems that Mr. Wales is an egalitarian/liberal who cannot draw any lines because he desires above all to be a consistent liberal. (As a successor to those Enlightenment supporters of the encylopedia project, Mr. Wales has taken liberalism one step further? At least the Enlightenment philosophes recognized that only experts in the fields should contribute.)
No comments:
Post a Comment