Friday, July 02, 2010

What to do about the 4th?


(source: Archibald Willard's "The Spirit of 76")

Usually I do not do much, though last year I thought about watching fireworks. The other day I was thinking about the 4th of July again and whether one should celebrate the holiday, which has been taken over by those holding to the nationalist myth of the founding and the Constitution.

Uncelebrating the 4th, by Harry Browne (original)

Unfortunately the author of the above engages in his own fanciful story-telling, but from a libertarian perspective.

I suppose patriots who believe in state sovereignty should take the opportunity to meet up and celebrate the historical event and recognize the Anglo-Celtic-Latin heritage of the country. What better occasion to network? I don't see any events listed on FB or Google, though. You would think that if those who support state sovereignty and the 10th Amendment wanted to make a statement about state sovereignty and a National Government that is wrongfully usurping power, they would do it on the 4th.

Daniel McCarthy recommends Bill Kauffman's Up Against the Wall in Anti-Imperialism for Independence Day.

No comments: