Monday, August 02, 2010

A comment about yoga

At this time I am skeptical about the reasons put forth by those who say that yoga should not be practiced by Christians--there may be some concern about the names of poses, meditations, and so on, but the poses/physical exercises themselves? Those who are scrupulous can do pilates, I suppose. Johnette Benkovic apparently has spoken against yoga and has had guests on her show to explain why -- Yoga: Health or Stealth. (This article does not, as far as I can tell, talk about yoga poses.)

The physical theory behind qi gung and taijiquan is incorrect (and thus the goals are wrong), but can these be practiced by Christians? Taijiquan is less problematic than qi gung. as it has the self-defense aspect, while the purpose of qi gung is the cultivation of Qi.

Links:
Yogic Logic
Yoga Wiz
more on postures: here and here

No comments: