Monday, August 30, 2010

Mrs. B. came back to work today; she had been out for several weeks recovering from surgery? Mandated leave time? She told me today that "Bloom" from her class last year is the nephew of one of this year's K students, diara. A bit mind-boggling, even if you are used to people having large families? Anyway, this is Mrs. B's 30th year of teaching. Her sub was one of her former students, from a while back. Many in San Jose maintain roots, but if they had the means and opportunity would they go somewhere else?

One of the boys asked to go to the bathroom but couldn't unzip his pants in time so he had an accident. Of course he was crying, but I just had him wipe himself. If someone were in the room, I would have had him taken to the office to be picked up early, but since I was the only adult in the room at the time, I decided he'd be ok for the last 10 minutes of class...

Big companies with a lot of applicants may think they can get away without sending some acknowledgment that an application has been received, even reviewed, but I think a form letter (or e-mail) is better than nothing. Otherwise they are just showing a lack of respect for wage slaves, and this is contemptible. Has business culture declined since the 1950s?

No comments: