Are probably necessary for the flourishing of the family as a unit. I am speculating since I am personally not that familiar with family rules in practice. I think there would be amelioration of the situation in the long run if authority was properly exercised and there was respect and obedience. But another problem is the lack of proper order in charity. Wrong-headed notions of charity do much to undermine the good, and give non-Christians a false impression that Christianity preaches some version of egalitarianism with respect to love or benevolence. (Something akin to Mohism?)
How much of the extant family rules of East Asian families are derived from neo-Confucianism? What sort of family rules existed before neo-Confucianism (or Confucianism, for that matter)? While the dynamics of East Asian families may pose its own set of problems regarding the fostering of independence on the part of children, they do seem to foster an outward appearance of harmony. (This might be a hasty generalization, that East Asian families actually experience less conflict than Anglo-American families.)
I have read the claim that the nuclear family (as opposed to the extended family) is a development in Anglo(-American) culture. Is this true? (It is also claimed that the success of Anglo societies is linked to this family structure.)
No comments:
Post a Comment