
Opening up Hulu, I find that episodes of Diff'rent Strokes are now available. Who can watch this show without thinking about the sad adult lives of the child actors? (Unless they're ignorant of their life histories -- not everyone keeps up with "entertainment news.") I think some of my cousins used to watch the show frequently. I watched it only once in a while, and I remember when my sister wanted to watch it and she was criticized because the show had black people. My cousins and I thought Dana Plato was cute; how could her life become such a tragedy? It makes me think that the entertainment industry should be held responsible for ruining the lives of child actors, even if the burden of the responsibility lies upon their parents.
Who needs religion when television is a cheaper opiate? Has anyone examined the impact of too much television on children with respect to socialization and imagination? I think it must be abnormal to feel such nostalgia towards television shows--TV + somewhat lonely childhood.
No comments:
Post a Comment