Tuesday, February 08, 2011

"Good luck."

Today I headed over to the ER to get my sutures removed. I figured there wouldn't be too many patients during the day, but I still spent about an hour and a half there, even though the actual cleaning, removal, and dressing took only about 10 minutes. There was a long waiting period for the clerks to register me and to give the armband to me, which I needed before the ER doctor could take the sutures out.

After I had beeb "dischraged" by the nurse, she said, "Good luck," as I left. She wasn't the only one in the hospital who did this -- the plastic surgeon who put the sutures in, the PA, the admissions clerk, the RN at triage -- they all said this. Is this part of the employee's handbook at SCVM? It sounded rather odd to my ears -- I would expect something more on the lines of "Take care." What does luck have to do with my recovery? Either nature takes its course and my body heals itself, or some other part of nature interferes with it (infection due to bacteria, etc.). I am not sure if it is better to blame misfortune on the lack of luck rather than on the seeming indifference or absence of God. But without God or any sort of pagan religion, what are we left with when we wish to express our hopes for good fortune in our farewells?

No comments: