Smiley’s life is best told by the bookIncidentally, his brother agreed with him regarding the Peter Weir adaptation.
The BBC version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was so good it made me get a TV, after years of not having one in my home. Yet when I watched it again a few years ago I found it oddly slow and quiet, not as thrilling as the first time round. I had changed completely in the 25 years between, as we all have.
This is because I am used to more and more of my thinking and feeling being done for me by the TV or the cinema, thanks to music, special effects and fast, clever editing.
I’ll be interested to see how the new film version compares, but in the end they can’t beat the book, drawn from life by a wonderful observer. Unlike the TV series, which starred Alec Guinness as Smiley, it gets better every time.
I have the Alec Guinness TV series on DVD; need a long day when I can watch it guilt-free.
The new movie opens today over in the UK.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Interviews
official site
Le Carré: Oldman brings 'more sex' to Tinker, Tailor role than Guinness
Reviews:
Variety
The Arts Desk
The Guardian; another.
Huffington Post
RT
No comments:
Post a Comment