Sunday, November 20, 2011
Probably after my trip to Arizona next weekend I will attend the Byz. rite Sunday liturgy more regularly - it should become the normal. I'm just not in the frame of mind necessary for meditating upon polyphony, even if polyphonic settings of the Mass are not the norm in Palo Alto, but chant. I won't judge whether it is proper to liturgical spirituality or appropriate to have a division of roles to such an extreme that even the ordinary of the Mass is sung only by the schola/choir. (I know Pope Benedict XVI has written in the defense of such liturgies, holding that there is a place for the liturgical music of Mozart and the like.) Does it engender too much passivity for those who are not fluent in Latin and must rely upon translation? Perhaps not. But the Byzantine rite is more likely to keep me on my feet, literally and figuratively.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment