Went to a certain school today, one that I had not visited for a year at least, probably. The demographics of the students have changed in the last 15 years. There are fewer Vietnamese (and Cambodian) students at the school. I wouldn't be surprised if the standardized test scores have changed accordingly. There were a lot of surly students in that class and pupils more interested in talking than doing their work. 6th grade - the girls were hitting puberty. One of the other teachers lectured them on failing to show respect to an author who was visiting the school on Friday to give a speech.
Maybe their attitudes have been affected in part by mass education. But what of the lack of family education? Is there any hope that they can be shaped for the better? Since I was just there for a day, it felt like babysitting and I had very little incentive to try to be a miracle worker.
All I could think at the time was that if they is the future of California, I don't want any part of it. Even the "unproductive" can have children and these problems will most likely be perpetuated. If they were schooled in the manner appropriate to their abilities things might be different. But that's not going to happen now, is it?
I did see YR as I was leaving; she's in 4th grade now. Time flies.
No comments:
Post a Comment