Is Live Oak Academy the only school in the area that offers some version of classical education? Are there enough parents (Catholic or otherwise) in the South Bay to financially support a Catholic school offering a classical education? How does one go about organizing for the foundation for such a school? One would think that such an effort would be founded on the contributions of traditional(ist) Catholics, many of whom are already homeschooling. There was a school associated with St. Stephen the Martyr up in Sacramento, but it had to close. Did the parents there start homeschooling or did they send their children to other schools in the area? Trinity Prep would be a bit far...
Nothing has materialized around St. Margaret Mary in Oakland, as far as I know. The Catholics there homeschool or... ? The same is true of OLP.
Given the bad economic times maintaining an independent Catholic classical school may just be too much here. And if it were to attempt to have some sort of edible schoolyard program? One would have to first persuade the parents that that sort of focus on practical living skills is necessary for the times ahead.
Circe Institute
Veritas Press
Memoria Press
Classical Academic Press
An interview with E. Christian Kopff from May by Western Word Radio - mp3.
From 2010:
The Sunic Journal: Interview with Dr. E. Christian Kopff, #1 of 2 (mp3)
Part 2: mp3
Julius Evola & Radical Traditionalism
While going through ISI's YT channel, Educating for Liberty, I found the lecture series, Conservative Intellectual Tradition in America . What sort of "conservatism" is being defined if the series includes Newt Gingrich as one of its speakers?
Then there is the John Jay Institute:
Conservatism as a form of liberalism.
Misc.
PSM 01: AAM, Mahan Esfahani
2012 Season, Proms Saturday Matinees
"Harpsichordist Mahan Esfahani joins the Academy of Ancient Music to perform Bach's Art of Fugue in a new instrumental arrangement by Esfahani himself. In doing so he revives the informal spirit of Bach's Leipzig coffee house concerts, in which the composer would direct his own band of musicians."
(Access to the audio will be available for 3 more days.)
2 comments:
Hello,
I know you wrote this in 2012, I wish I had seen it then.
I have been thinking about this for a while, as we had a private Catholic high school in Concord based on classical methods which had to close due to lack of students. If I remember correctly, it never had more than about 10 students.
Today, I thought of an idea. What if there was a school like this where children from any background went to school. The religious part could still be done as separate classes. Most things could be done together.
I hope you see this and would be interested in starting up a dialogue. If there are people discussing a school in the bay area, I'd love to become involved in that.
Thank you for your post!
Rose
Hello Rose, I was notified of your comment when it was first posted - I will try to write a response and post it to the main blog when I have some more time.
Post a Comment