Thursday, September 27, 2012

I Might Join the Exodus Too

For these reasons and more.

From the Manhattan Institute: The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look, by Tom Gray, focuses on why Californians are fleeing their state and the fiscal mismanagement, in addition to the regularly discussed cost drivers, that is forcing them to leave, thus benefiting other states.

(pdf)

From the summary:
"The data show a pattern of movement over the past decade from California mainly to states in the western and southern U.S.: Texas, Nevada, and Arizona, in that order, are the top magnet states. Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Idaho, and Utah follow. Rounding out the top ten are two southern states: Georgia and South Carolina."

Arizona is not an optimal choice though I have family there. Nevada is also bad, and I have no family there, though I do know someone who moved back "home" from Boston. Oregon supposedly has less strict gun laws than California. I can probably deal with the weather in Washington. Fr. B is from Idaho. What about Georgia? I'd like to visit South Carolina.

Alas all the Californians moving to Texas must be ruining it and the big cities there (e.g. Austin?).

The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look
Ben Boychuk interviews Tom Gray (mp3)
Steve Sailer, "The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look"

No comments: