I visited Bing Concert Hall yesterday for a performance by the Stanford Early Music Singers. The auditorium features state-of-the-art acoustics and science. I was impressed, even if the interior was more functional than aesthetic. What would the Divine Liturgy for your average Orthodox or Eastern Catholic parish sound like in such a setting? [Some] Traditional temples may be better acoustically if they lack carpeting and because of other factors (of which I am unaware) - should acoustics be a consideration for the design of temples? At the very least, designs that take into acoustics into account may obviate the pastoral/liturgical need for microphones, which should be generally desirable.
On the other hand, better acoustics may as a consequence require that a choir or schola receive better training. (There was a liturgical singing seminar at St. Seraphim Orthodox Church in Santa Rosa the beginning of February.)
No comments:
Post a Comment