Friday, May 24, 2013

BSA Embraces the New [Dis-]Order

Boy Scouts to Admit Openly Gay Youths as Members

Some Reactions:
Thomas Fleming
I do not say all Scouting leaders are of this type, but I will say that I do not much trust grown men who want to spend time with boys. In some cases, of course, fathers in a community accept such positions as one of their obligations, and if they have woodcraft, they enjoy sharing their skills with their sons and with the sons of their friends. Otherwise, such people tend to be at best of the social worker/youth pastor type: people who get a kick out of bossing the young and vulnerable.

I understand and agree with the ideals of the early Scouting leaders. We have to be good barbarians before we can become civilized, and spending time outdoors is a great antidote to the corruption of urban life. But, whenever possible, these ideals should be communicated by families and by friends of the family, not by do-gooders who give out medals to boys who help their mothers around the house.

And then there are the den mothers...

The Thinking Housewife: here and here


Why I'm Starting a New Boy Scouts: My Catholic Scouting Manifesto ~ Dr. Taylor Marshall (The piece has been picked up by Rorate Caeli. How are the Catholic scouting groups in Europe? Many are linked to the EF of the Roman rite.)

Anothyer alternative? Federation of North American Explorers

While it might be a relatively "good" thing to work for the etasblishment of a new, more tradition-observing group, I still have doubts about earning a livelihood in a support position.

Related:
New Federal Bill Seeks to Punish Adoption Agencies That Give Priority to Married, Heterosexual Couples

No comments: