Sunday, September 24, 2006

Regency House Party











It was all fine and dandy, even though some people were having difficulty pretending to be ladies and gentlemen of the Regency Period (particularly the feminists), but then they had to bring on Gunther von Hagens, creator of Body Worlds, justifying it by claiming the people were curious about bodies and antomy back then, and would have macabre displays of their own. Something to that effect, it's been a while since I've watched that episode.

It's for this reason (and the fact that people thought they might be able to find "true love" by artificially adopting 19th century conventions without the social structures that made such conventions possible) that I'm hesitant about buying the DVD. The book might have plenty of pretty pictures, though. I'd watch it more for the costumes and the attempts to live the Regency than the conversation and reflection by the moderns.

DVD, companion book
PBS website
channel 4 website (photo album)
wabe.org


No comments: