Sunday, September 24, 2006

Whoa (redux)

Elena Marie Vidal left some comments at my Kirsten Dunst Vogue photos post... she is the author of Trianon and Madame Royale, she knows more than a little about Marie Antoinette. I think it would be nice if someone were to interview her and ask her some questions about her interests and so on. (And before someone suggests that I try, I don't think my blog has enough readers to justify me asking her to give an interview. Besides, I'm probably not a good interviewer... Anyways, she did do an interview for EWTN bookmark, which can be viewed here. Or go directly to the youtube site, thanks to Ms. Vidal. Parts 2 and 3.)

And she has written something on the Vogue article! Thanks!

While I was doing a search for Hilaire Belloc + Marie Antoinette I came upon Alexander Palace Time Machine. And whose post did the search engine find that had these references? You guessed it! The website seems like an interesting place--something you history buffs (and/or monarchists) out there should check out.

On a related though,I would never imagine that the people I talk about here would find out about my posts at this rather obscure blog. Makes me wonder if I should be more careful about what I write. Or, I should write only positive things...

"pshaw"

I don't think academic philosophers would use their time to respond to online critiques...

Daniel Larison reflects on something related, Dr. Ilkka Kokkarinen's decision to stop blogging and the reasons behind it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't read Illka Kokkarinen's blog until he quit. But I was very touched and impressed by his apologies. I'm no fan of Rye High, but I am a fan of conversion. What Prof. Kokkarinnen seems to have gone through is a "moral conversion" as described by Bernard Lonergan ("Insight") where a person gives up satisfactions (e.g. the thrill of delivering a witty barb) for values (patience, kindliness). His loyalty to his wife is commendable. But his disappointed "fans" are attacking it, which I find deeply shocking. Since I spend way too much time on the Internet myself, I can understand her concern for him. And, to mirror what one commentor said about Evelyn Waugh, his wife Laura Waugh wasn't a lighthearted soul either. It seems to me that Prof. K's wife is part of his "salvation" (for lack of a word to fit Prof K's atheism) and that this is what spouses are called to be for each other.

I wish I could have left him a comment in support, but he has disabled the comments features. I hope he does okay.

Anonymous said...

If anybody knows how to do it, feel free to send off this support to Prof Kokkarinen. A lot of sarcasm is coming his way. Well, as love is "as strong as death", and he seems to be acting out of love, surely it is stronger than cynicism.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Papabear, one never knows who will appear in cyberspace! You have a great blog, and your post about the Vogue article inspired me to jot down some comments! Thank you very much!