Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Cappa Magna

NLM: Cappa Magna In Use Again


source: Cardinal Sean's Blog

Cardinal Castrillón: here

I have to say that I'm not such a big fan of the cappa magna, and tend to think that it is obsolete. The longer it is, the worse I think of it. (I have the same opinion about long bridal trains as well.) A reaction to triumphalism? Is it accurate to say that this is an example of secular royal fashion being co-opted by the Church (as a sign of dignity/rank/honor)? Or was this adoption by both secular rulers and the Church rather contemporaneous?

I believe a simplification of honors did take place under Pope Paul VI, no? If I were to be consistent, I would think that was a good thing. Are the Orthodox and Eastern Catholics so elaborate with their honors system and vestments, in comparison to the Latins of the past?

Does the cappa magna work as a sign of dignity, reminding us of the dignity that cardinals and bishops and other prelates have? Or is it an obstacle because it is excessive, when the episcopal ring, pectoral cross, and ordinary vestments should suffice?

For more info:
Costume of prelates of the Catholic church By John Abel Nainfa
Church vestments: their origin & development By Herbert Norris
Handbook to Christian and Ecclesiastical Rome By Mildred Anna Rosalie Tuker, Hope Malleson
CE: Cope

Other blogs:
Cardinal O'Brien's Cappa
Dappled Photos: The Cappa Magna
Wounded Bird: Cardinal In Cappa Magna
the far sight 2.0: The Spanish Cappa Magna
Cappa Magna Sighting : Andrew Cusack
American Papist: Photo: World's Largest Cappa Magna?

3 comments:

Der Herr Alipius said...

Hi!
I like the cappa as a (non-liturgical) vestment and as a symbol.

I can see how people would think it is all about triumphalism and a cardinal going "Har! Look at me! I am the cardinal!"

Imagine, however, the following: Two (or by now almost three) generations of bishops raised to be proud of their humility, where once we had prelates that humbly wore the proud robes because they new it wasn't about them or about what the layfolks might or might not think (because the Church still new that everything was about Christ).

Der Herr Alipius said...

Oops! That's supposed to be "knew" not "new" - twice.

papabear said...

Thank you for your thoughts!