Thursday, June 25, 2009

I was rather surprised to see something published at FPR regarding the Governor Sanford scandal: Southern Adulteration, by James Matthew Wilson. (Daniel McCarthy's post for @TAC yesterday.)

TakiMag: There goes that by Razib Kahn and RE: There Goes That by Richard Spencer.

Edit. Dr. Fleming, Dumb and Dumber: Sanford and the Conservatives
Rod Dreher: Mark Sanford blows himself up, Mark Sanford's love letters, Cultural conservatives can't win, A word about adultery

Dr. Fleming has a response for Dr. Gottfried?

One worn-out graybeard anti-Christian professor, catering, as so many embittered losers do, to the next generation, has been pontificating about so-called paleoconservative Christians who want to enforce the morality of a Trappist monastery. Would that this professor (and his young admirers) would adopt one Trappist rule, at least: the rule of silence. Having nothing to say, let them say nothing.
I didn't know that such a split existed between paleoconservatives. Perhaps Dr. Gottfried does not even consider himself a paleoconservative any more.

Apparently Dr. Fleming is embarking on a new endeavor:
The complete vacuity of conservative discussion, particularly of the murder of George Tiller, has persuaded me that it is time to get down to basics and, against my inclination and better judgment, to spell out a minimalist conservative credo. I am going to suppose, for the sake of these discussions, that–mirabile dictu- there is still some use in words like left and right, conservative and liberal and socialist. I am also going to set aside the entirely profitless debate over who is a real conservative or which generation has been or will be the standard-bearer of conservative revolution. I leave such discussions to the academic butterfly collectors known as “intellectual historians” (though, for the most part, they are neither intellectuals nor historians.

I look forward to reading his introduction to conservatism.

No comments: