Sunday, September 27, 2009

I decided not to go to the mariachi festival today--it's supposed to reach 92 degrees F, and I figured there wouldn't be enough music there to really make it worth the effort. Yesterday I went over to rhk's place to get the computer fixed. It seems to be ok now, though having a working computer does have its drawbacks. I was thinking of going to Nikaku today, and then going to the mariachi festival afterwards, but I didn't go to bed until late (a little after 2), and when I woke up this morning, I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to get ready and brave a day of heat.

It was good to spend some time with rhk yesterday, and it made me think about how I still don't have a life, even though I've been back in California for 2 years. I don't have a wingman to go to the pubs on weekends, unless I ask ah Fai to go, but he doesn't seem like he'd be interested in that. But there isn't anyone else... I need to make friends with more single (Catholic) males.

For lunch, rhk and his gf ordered pizza from a pizza joint down the street, Ascona -- the atterhorn. It was rather good, though I didn't really like the big chunks of ham; but it's also $$, much more expensive than your Costco pizza. Which reminds me -- the Sunnyvale Costco must have a phone number which one can call ahead and place an order for pizzas. This would be handy information to have if one is feeding teenagers. The question is whether there is a budget for it.

It turns out that Vista had been corrupted on the computer, possibly by a bad install of the new burner or by a virus hidden in a program. I replaced the boot drive and I still need to install a few programs. The computer did crash last night when I was burning a disc, so there may be a problem with the drivers for the burner.

For dinner we headed over to a ramen place at the Ulferts Center in Dublin, apparently the local Asian shopping center there. I believe the ramen restaurant was operated by Taiwanese. The ramen was ok, but expensive. There are other things I'd prefer to spend $8.50 on. I have to admit that the ramen was different from what I expected, since up to last night I was only familiar with the instant variety. Dinner was followed by a viewing of Surrogates at the Dublin Regal Theaters. (The only good thing about the movie was Rosamund Pike, and she wasn't enough to make the movie worth the time and money.)

It's been a while since I've spent a whole day outside of the room, with people other than family. Now if I could only find some sort of job that would make going out on weekends possible.

I learned about the Peralta Adobe and Fallon House on Friday, watching KPIX news. Just as I asked about cob, is it possible to build an adobe house in California under its current earthquake regulations?

HSJ: Visiting HSJ: Peralta Adobe & Fallon House Historic Site

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WTF!! Get a f-ing life you loser!!!
-R. Jeremy