The LC priest was at St. Joe's yesterday (concelebrating), but I don't know if he stayed for the fiesta afterward. He looked a bit thinner than before, but I could be imagining that. How is the school doing? The order ordained 59 men to the priesthood this morning. Was that a wise move? Or does the leadership really think that everything is a-ok?
What can I say about the liturgy? I hadn't been to a OLG Mass at the parish for a while, and things haven't changed so much, as far as I can tell. At least there were no Aztec dancers, though children from the parish school did dress up and do a dance. There was also a drama telling the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe and Juan Diego -- I think this had been done in the past, too. Mariachi music. How much better it would have been if Mexican polyphony had been sung! Anyone in the area interested in doing that?
On Sunday they were still using glass bowls to hold the consecrated Hosts. I don't know if they did this last night.
Some people were complaining about the food at the fiesta -- it was ok, and it was free, made possible through the generosity of members of the parish, no? But I do not doubt that KK's tamales will be better, and I am looking forward to her little OLG party this afternoon.
Were there any potentials? There was one Latina who resembled Patricia Manterola a bit, though she was more pale, and she had more attitude. My brother-in-law thought she might be high-maintenance. He's probably right on that score. Though one probably shouldn't fault a woman too much for taking care of her appearance, if she is dressing up fashionably according to contemporary tastes. She is either related to, or friends with, one of the families which has been in the parish for a long time, I think. I recognize the patriarch(?), though he looks older.
All of the teachers who came from Spain to teach in San Jose have deep voices. I don't know why that is--if it is a characteristically Spanish trend, or if it is proper to one particular region of Spain. It can sound mature (certainly it's not girly), but it may be lacking in femininity in some ways? I suppose I'd have to hear the Spanish being spoken within the proper context. But at this point I do prefer the more girly sounding Latin American Spanish.
No comments:
Post a Comment