I've noted before that the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist were starting work at Marin High School. They have other missions in Northern California. In their latest letter soliciting donations, Mother Assumpta Long writes of their future plans for expansion: "We are now looking to build at least one additional Priory in another part of the country - which will allow us to accommodate up to 100 new vocations and, at the same time, begin the long prayed-for nationwide expansion of our apostolate in a permanent way." Their website talks of the sister's hopes to build priories in California and Texas.
The letter brought to mind this post I wrote on Catholic fundraising and the question I raised of whether it could be continued in the long run with a fading economy. God provides through individuals, but they must first be able to gather a surplus from which they can donate to the Church. Can religious orders that depend primarily on donations from the faithful transition toward being supported by a local community before relocalization happens with local communities? Or are they stuck relying upon a national base until the transition occurs?
No comments:
Post a Comment