Thursday, October 20, 2011

What would Mencius say about this?

A modern analogue to the child falling into a well... this video of a child being run over by a car in China has been circulating on Facebook. A virtual friend in Australia who herself is originally from Guangdong first brought his to my attention. Would Mencius doubt that people are innately good? Or is the seeming inhumanity of those present a result of cultivated indifference? I tend to think that this is the case, that in a megapoleis in which virtue and communal life are not promoted, this is the result. Of course, having an atheistic regime which regards human life as cheap ruling the country doesn't help either. Things might be better in the rural areas of China. If one wants to know why I don't bother looking for a wife in one of the cities of China, this is a reason. (Chinese city women, from what I've seen and read, are also materialistic and craving alpha attention. Are they worse than Russian city women?)

No comments: