Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How wonderful it is to be a Westerner

whose government ensures access to cheap energy, propping up a dying post-industrial political economy. One doesn't have to slave away in an office, but can have the glamour job of editing, while raising a family at the same time!

Rachel Motte, All the Married Ladies: A Response to Kate Bolick (via Joe Carter)

As Ms. Bolick agonizes over whether to center the rest of her life on her career or her relationships, I’m enjoying both. I watched my daughter take her first steps from my perch at the kitchen table, where I sat with my laptop editing a New York Times bestselling book. My daughter is older now, and she often sits beside me at the kitchen table where I still work. I write op-eds and book chapters in between math and reading lessons, and I answer my email in between meetings at the local home-schooling co-op.


If anything, my career has benefitted from my decision to raise a family, because I’ve had the freedom to take advantage of educational and career opportunities that would not have come up if I’d been locked in an office all day. If I can manage to make this work, so can other women.

What of the women who don't have the same opportunities? The same political economy that enables Rachel Motte to do what she thinks is right for her family prevents other women from doing so. Is she willing to sacrifice what she has for the common good?

A cynic would say that this is just another female display of status to other females.

No comments: