website
$22 for tickets... hrm... would it be worth it? Looks like a SCA event, except on a bigger scale. Perhaps it is a SCA event. It certainly doesn't look so professional and authentic, at least certain features and events. Maybe that is because there are "normal" people who use the faire as an opportunity to play dress-up. At least Scots going to the Highland games have a reason for dressing up. (NH Highland Games, St. Andrew's Society of Detroit) People dressing up from the Renaissance period? Not too sure about that... And it's not clear to me if this is supposed to be a Renaissance festival or a Medieval festival. (I think it is advertised as a Medieval festival.) The costumes look wrong if it is a Renaissance festival.
Perhaps the New Scot would enjoy it nonetheless, but he is not around; instead he is spending Sunday morning in Quebec City before driving up to Peterborough. The faire is being held near the border with Rhode Island, and lasts until late October. I'll have to think about whether it is worth the time and money to go down. I'm not sure how they handle the food, if one buys food a la carte or if there is some sort of banquet (like Medieval Times), but turkey leg sounds good.
He certainly would be interested in Legion XIV. (Legio XIII Gemina; links page.)
Renaissance Magazine
Here in the States we have Civil War re-enactments, plus WW2 re-creations. One of my friends from the seminary participated in WW2 'battles' as a German (since he is of German heritage). He had a uniform and everything. (I never did get to see his photos.)
The Civil War Reenactor's Homepage
Instydigipics
WW2 Reenacting
Olive Drab
*shrugs* I'm not sure what to make of it all. I think it'd be better to just live the real thing, as a member of the National Guard, if the NG weren't so readily co-opted by the Federal Government (are there any independent state militias left? doesn't seem like it). It is because the NG is currently being used in Iraq that I would be hesitant about joining. The Swiss have the ideal perhaps, with each male citizen being a reservist, and undergoing some training every year. (I suppose Israel might be another example.)
wiki
Swiss army
Swiss Army webring
UK Army
Website/database for military camouflage uniforms from all over the world
"The Swiss and Their Guns" (from 1990)
Victorinox
1 comment:
"Lady Downstairs!"
"Yes, Grandpa?"
"What's this I hear? You're stepping out with a member of the Waffen-SS?"
"No, Grandpa. It's 2006, silly. Karl's not really in the Waffen-SS, he's just REENACTING being in the Waffen-SS."
"He's reenacting being in the SS?"
"Yes, Grandpa."
"Okay, hold still a moment."
"Grandpa! What are you doing! Put down that down! You can't shave my head!"
"I'm not really shaving your head. I'm just REENACTING shaving your head. Next I'm going to reenact marching you through the streets of Paris, you Collaborator."
"But Paris is 3 thousand kilometers away! Ahhh! My hair!"
"Montreal will do in a pinch."
"Ahhh! Mum! Help"
"Halt die Klappe!"
Post a Comment