AP: Obama rushes to quell racial uproar he helped fire
"This has been ratcheting up, and I obviously helped to contribute ratcheting it up," Obama said of the racial controversy. "I want to make clear that in my choice of words, I think I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department and Sgt. Crowley specifically. And I could've calibrated those words differently."
The president did not back down from his contention that police had overreacted by arresting the Harvard professor for disorderly conduct after coming to his home to investigate a possible break-in. He added, though, that he thought Gates, too, had overreacted to the police who questioned him. The charge has been dropped.
Obama stirred up a hornet's nest when he said at a prime-time news conference this week that Cambridge police had "acted stupidly" by arresting Gates, a friend of the president's. Still, Obama said Friday he didn't regret stepping into the controversy and hoped the matter would end up being a "teachable moment" for the nation.
And how would he know the police overreacted, based on his unfamiliarity with the details? Who else but the officers present on the scene were acting stupidly? Does he have a problem with identifying people?
ABC NEWS: Obama Called Police Officer Who Arrested Gates, Still Sees 'Overreaction' in Arrest
No comments:
Post a Comment