I was set to meet the OD and his wife on Monday--at first I thought it was just for coffee, so they could get out of the house. But later I began to have my suspicions, since he was ok with xiao Jimmy not being there, plus they were not taking advantage of the time away from the kids to go on a date by themselves.
I picked up the OD at one Starbucks, which was set to close at 9. We ended up meeting at another Starbucks. His wife's friends were going to be there. And what do you know, they were trying to introduce me to a friend of a friend. Actually, I should say his wife was the one trying to facilitate this, since I had already expressed to the OD my lack of interest and he was quite aware of it.
She seems to be a 'nice' Taiwanese woman--what else can one really say after spending only an hour with her? She works in IT and is probably a typical Taiwanese woman, though perhaps not as materialistic as some others.
This morning I received an e-mail from the OD asking if I wanted to have dinner with the same people next week. (I thought he was supposed to be in Irvine.) Apparently she's interested in getting to know me better. I'm wary of letting things go any farther.
Signs of incompatibility:
1. She's not Catholic. I don't believe in trying to convert a gf (although I suspect that this may be slightly more successful than women trying to convert their bfs).
2. She's Taiwanese. (In general, HK women are hardly much better, but I'm not really interested in marrying a HK woman either.)
3. She works in IT. How is her familiarity with the humanities/liberal arts? Would she be willing and able to homeschool? (Or is she more career-oriented?)
Do we have enough in common, culturally? I'm not just Americanized, but Americanized in a peculiar sort of way. I should have asked her what she thought of Texas, since she went to U of T (@ Arlington or Dallas).
I'm leaning towards saying no to the OD, but I do admit that I am feeling some pressure from myself to say yes, because everyone else seems to be pushing for it. "I'll have to think about it some more..."
My back seems to be getting a little bit better, though I haven't done much walking this week. I've been feeling very tired at 12 A.M. for some reason.
Business Week: Is a Turnaround Brewing for Starbucks?
Founder Howard Schultz pledged to revive Starbucks to earlier glory. Recent results suggest he is on the right track, but some observers remain skeptical
Work at Starbucks? Probably not. Maybe It's a Grind or Peet's.
No comments:
Post a Comment