Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yesterday I read through The Rite by Matt Baglio. I didn't know the book was based on the experiences of a local priest. I knew he was the official exorcist for the diocese, but I didn't make a connection between him and the priest mentioned by the book, though the name sounded familiar. The book is a good introduction to the ministry of the exorcist and makes it clear why such a ministry is necessary; I probably wouldn't add it to my personal library though.

It seems that Fr. Carmine, the mentor, employs the revised Ritual. This is an assumption that I am making, since the book talks about the revision, and it never says that Fr. Carmine uses the older ritual, which Fr. Amorth prefers.

Fr. Amorth claims, in reference to the new Ritual:

Then Point 16 solemnly declares that one should not carry out exorcisms if one is not certain of the presence of the devil. This is a masterstroke of incompetence: the certainty that the devil is present in someone can only be obtained by carrying out an exorcism.
However, the book quotes unnamed exorcists as saying that a simple blessing suffices as a diagnostic tool, and that an exorcism is not necessary (nor is it permitted for such a purpose).

I don't have the book with me now so I can't look up page numbers.

From last year: Ritual of Dealing With Demons Undergoes a Revival
International Association of Exorcists

No comments: