Friday, April 23, 2010

Irish Jansenism?

I recall hearing from a cleric (priest or bishop?) about the differences between Irish priests and priests from Romance countries in the confessional before Vatican II. It is alleged by some priests and professors that Irish priests believed sexual sins to be more serious than other sins (and reacted accordingly in the confessional) while priests from Romance countries were more understanding, or at least ackowledged that such sins were more due to human weakness than malice. A erroneous attitude towards sex can still be found among certain American Catholics (hence one form of Cathoic guilt) and also traditionalists (including those associated with the SSPX and I think in particulaar of a certain writers associated with the Remnant.) The distorted view of attitude has been attributed to "Irish Jansenism"; whether it really can be traced to Jansenism, rather than to some other tradition I do not know, though I do know what others have said, and some have made the link between the scandal and "Irish Jansenism."

I'll rephrase the question then -- does the sex scandal in Ireland, or its handing by the bishops, have any roots in a distorted view towards sex?

Today I read at CNN that a third Irish bishop has resigned today (along with a Belgian bishop who has admitted to abusing a boy).

Fr. Blake: Save the Liturgy, Save the World (from Jansenism)
Jansenism, the Liturgy and Ireland | Rev. Brian Van Hove, S.J.
Dublin's sex-abuse scandal: variations on the American theme by Phil Lawler

3 comments:

shane said...

No, did you see my comment on your earlier post...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=26624744&postID=3515008081158252036

papabear said...

Yes, I did. Thanks for the links. This was written partly in response to it. Do you think a disordered view of sex had anything to do with the "Magdalene Laundries"? How about the handling of sex abuse victims?

I don't think this attitude can be equated with Victorian mores on sexual matters. I think the Victorians get more flak than they deserve.

papabear said...

Inventing the Victorians, by Matthew Sweet?