Thursday, April 22, 2010

Peter Hitchens confirms my suspicion, apparently in response to those who have left comments (I surmise these are to be found at the original post):

Macaulay's history of England is a great read (thrilling and fast-moving) and not, as one contributor suggests, hard going. But it covers only a small part of the national story. I too would like a reading list which covered the whole narrative.

As for those who damn the so-called Whig interpretation of history, I wonder whose interpretation they prefer? My guess is that they prefer that of Karl Marx. But of course they can't say so, as that would give the game away. Rest assured, once the left triumphs, there will be a standard history agreed at the highest level and taught (no nonsense about 'sources' and 'discovering it for yourself' then), packed with lies and full of gaps, to justify the nasty state they will by then have erected on the grave of Great Britain.

No comments: