Friday, August 25, 2006

CTRC

This afternoon is the first time I stepped into the CTRC in O'Neill since it was closed for renovation... what can I say about the job that was done? I don't know how much money was spent on it, but the chairs are definitely comfortable, allowing one to lean back or even rock a little. Evidently they shut off the A/C. I don't know where they put the Macs, there are only Dells in here. They were supposed to be replacing the Macs anyways. The printers are located near the front desk; I don't see any other printers in here besides those. I'm not sure why they cut down on the number of printers, unless these are even supposed to be faster than the last. (But if Murphy's Law holds, won't any temporary breakdowns make things really bad, given the small number of available printers?)

There is a "mini-lounge" area too--not sure why they would have that, since people should be working quietly here anyways--no cell phones, etc. There are 5 lounge chairs plus a round table in the middle... Perhaps there is another rationale for that (temporary waiting area for those waiting for the printer or a computer). I don't see any print stations... I wonder where they put those, if there are any.

*Edit* Blogger was having problems this afternoon, but things seem to be better now. Anyway, I found 2 printers in the back of the CTRC; the party they had for the "Grand Opening" is over now, and all of the "important" people have left... I still haven't found the Macs.

1 comment:

papabear said...

ok, I found the Macs, they're in the back of the CTRC. I found them b/c I printed Transfiguration College's Red Book and went to pick the document up in the back. There are only 11 Macs; there used to be more before the renovation; is Apple losing market share in the education market?

oh, btw, there are new tables in the CTRC--no more cubicle-like rows, with barriers separating one row from another. One is confronted with the presence of people both to the side and across from one's self.