A post about the movie at Lew Rockwell blog. I find it remarkable that this movie would be screened in West Hollywood. (See the charges of revisionism in the Variety review below.) I doubt it will be shown here in Massachusetts. Maybe it's because it's obviously an indie movie, but I have worries about the quality of the movie, production values, and the acting. The trailer reminds me of the quality of acting seen in the trailer for such movies as the Mormon Saints and Soldiers. Still, maybe it will be as good(?) as Gods and Generals. Perhaps I will have to watch Ride with the Devil again (especially since Jewel is in it).
While I was in California I read Eugene Genovese's The Southern Tradition: The Achievement and Limitations of an American Conservatism. The book accomplishes what it sets out to do, and I would be interested in reading more on what the Southern Agrarians thought about race issues and civil rights policies. The SPL lists Eugene Genovese as a neo-Confederate? Or just an intellectual associated with neo-Confederates? I wonder what Dr. Genovese makes of that. Can there be anything more irritating than a self-appointed police of thought and PCness that takes upon itself to be the ultimate arbiter of historical truth?
I wonder how much hardcover copies are going on the used book market now.
No comments:
Post a Comment